Leigh Costanza is a professional drummer, musician and teacher based in Leamington Spa, UK with years of live, studio and tuition experience behind him.
Leigh started playing drums at the age of 14 in Bournemouth, UK after many years listening to and obsessing over classic rock and heavy metal, playing his first show with a band after only about 2 weeks of having owned a drumset. After playing in several local rock bands around the area, Leigh began to study drums at school with the now iconic Tony Nash before heading to the University of Warwick in 2007, and studying drums at an advanced level with world-renowned players and educators such as Benny Greb, Thomas Lang, Derek Roddy, Tommy Igoe and Travis Orbin. It was at this time that he also began taking on students of his own, teaching around the West Midlands and also giving workshops and demonstrations at the University.
After this period of intensive and passionate study, Leigh graduated in 2011 and was immediately welcomed into The Rhythm Studio faculty where he quickly rose to become one of the principal staff in the drum department, teaching private drum lessons to numerous students spanning a wide age, interest and ability spectrum.
Launched in late 2012, the drum stream of The Rhythm Studio's new flagship Rock & Pop Academy courses have been taught and assessed exclusively by Leigh, with much of the material being modelled on his own personal teaching method. The students on this course have progressed astonishingly well, and under his guidance Leigh's private students continue to excel, with a 100% pass rate with Distinction for all grade exams taken after tuition with Leigh.
A confident teacher with methods of proven success, Leigh has now joined the Drumsense teaching initiative, which he has integrated into his own methods to provide a comprehensive and enjoyable learning experience, offering:
He is able to cover and enjoys teaching most modern styles of music to students of all ages and abilities (from 6-year-old new starters right through to veteran touring players twice his age, and everything in between!), with style studies in:
- A clear, structured learning approach with an emphasis on focus and setting goals
- All rhythmic theory and technique to advanced levels
- Years of experience teaching all ages and levels across a full spectrum of styles and subjects
- Genuine enthusiasm for helping beginners take their first steps on the instrument
- Relaxed, informal attitude and commitment to helping his students develop to their own full potential
Leigh also provides specialist technique studies, including:
- Heavy metal
- Drum N' Bass
- R 'n' B
In addition, Leigh can also offer his students:
- Hand & foot technique - from basic grips to advanced systems such as Moeller method and constant-release kick technique
- Contemporary coordination concepts; independence & interdependence
- Sight reading & rhythm knowledge
Below is a selection of testimonials from students (and their parents) past and present:
- Rockschool, Drumsense & Trinity Guildhall Grade exam study and preparation (he holds a 100% pass rate with Distinction for all students who enter into Rockschool grade examinations with him)
- Gear maintenance lessons, advice and support (this includes full kit set-up and tuning service)
- Assistance with realistic goal-setting, and creating effective and practical practice schedules
- Audition and examination preparation sessions
- Long-term mentoring and advice on further education/career options.
"If you ever need help with technique, like myself, or indeed anything to do with the drum kit then Leigh is your man. He is attentive, precise and lets nothing slip through the net. Whether itís rudiments, sight-reading, or simply learning your favourite track, Leigh will get it done quickly but accurately, leaving nothing untouched. All genres of drumming are covered, and Leigh has introduced me to drummers and techniques that I did not even know existed, bringing the more contemporary and engaging style of teaching into play."
- Maxwell, 16
"Leigh has given me a few lessons in the couple of years that I've known him - he is an amazing teacher and an awesome guy. Not to mention his awesome drum skills! I aspire to one day become as good as he is; as a drummer, and a teacher."
- Alfie, 12
"I donít think Jack could praise you highly enough as his teacher, mentor and role model. What can it mean for a boy of twelve with a bit of ability and a pretty rigorous classical music foundation to meet a drummer who takes seriously his obsession with music and has the knowledge to challenge him intellectually, the skill to challenge him technically, and the personal resourcefulness to be his friend while channelling all his wilful intensity? At fourteen, Jack is still at it, getting more serious, and you are still his hero and have never let him down so far! I hope you both keep drumming forever."
- Katherine on Leigh's lessons with her son Jack, 14
"Leigh has inspired our 9 y/o son to play the drums brilliantly. Oscar played his first gig at a pub in Kilburn and nailed it. Brilliant tuition - cannot recommend highly enough. Leigh's next challenge will be to do the same with my daughter and may be even get Dad going!"
- Barry on Leigh's lessons with his son Oscar, 9
"Leigh has encouraged and given our daughter confidence to play and enjoy drumming. She loves learning from Leigh and looks forward to every lesson - he has helped our daughter to focus and put together a live performance that we are proud of. He is an inspirational teacher as well as a great musician!"
- Tomomi on Leigh's lessons with her daughter Amelie, 11
Currently Leigh works with his students in the comfort of their own home or studio - he is based in Leamington Spa and can cover the whole of the Warwickshire region. Whether you're in Leamington, Coventry, Kenilworth, Stratford-upon-Avon, Rugby or even Birmingham, Leigh can visit you!
Teaching location: Leamington Spa, covering Warwickshire and Birmingham
Phone 1: 07743 274465